Here are the top 10 reasons business owners have for not hiring an attorney to assist in obtaining a liquor license.
10. “We have unlimited time to worry about everything, so we should do it all ourselves.”
9. “My real estate agent recommended someone cheaper because he’s not a lawyer. He’s done this before. He probably knows what he’s doing even though he’s not licensed to do this sort of thing.”
8. “There’s NO WAY that it is illegal to work under the current owner’s license until I get my own.”
7. “We’ve done this many times before. The changes in the laws, procedures and forms won’t matter. It won’t matter if it takes us a few extra months to get our license”.
6. “I have enough cash, it won’t matter if I get caught later for a mistake in the application, even if it costs me as much as $10,000 civil penalty.”
5. “It would be my first offense. Won’t they just give me a slap on the hand. It won’t cost me thousands of dollars.”
4. “My mom was right; I am the smartest person in the world.”
3. “This case is simple. There is nothing unique about our business, or us. We’re just like every other business.
2. “The Liquor Authority investigators and local police are full of my immediate family.”
And the number 1 reason you are confident you don’t need an attorney:
1. “Hey, it’s just my money at stake. I have an unlimited supply.”