Do I need a Liquor License to Manufacture or Sell Food Made With Alcohol?

Food containing alcohol is under the purview of the Department of Agriculture and Markets. You will need to comply with all of their rules and regulations.

If you are intending to purchase alcohol at wholesale for use in the manufacture of food, you will need an industrial permit issued by the Liquor Authority.

What about an ID to buy Ice Cream?

While a liquor license is not required to sell wine ice cream, New York Agriculture & Markets Law Section 200 subdiving 15 requires a very specific sign be displayed anywhere that wine ice cream is sold. Retailers may also only sell wine ice cream to people 21 years of age and older. The sign must read:

  1. The sale of wine ice cream to individuals under the age of twenty-one is prohibited.
  2. Wine ice cream contains alcohol up to five percent by volume.
  3. Notice: Wine ice cream contains alcohol used as a flavoring and, as with any product that contains alcohol: (a) women should not consume alcohol during pregnancy because of the risk of birth defects, and (b) consumption of alcohol impairs your ability to drive a car or operate machinery, and may cause health problems.